Saturday, September 28, 2013

Musical Muse

One of the major detractions to my writing in the past two weeks is finally out of the way. I recently celebrated with a special martini mix (definitely not for the faint of stomach) and liked it so much I had two.  Life was really, really good that night and has since returned to some semblance of normalcy. I can now devote some time to writing, editing and other creative activities.

One of my recent discoveries is a musical channel within Youtube.  One of the most powerful sets of musical compositions are sometimes the shortest.  The musical scores linked into movie trailers can really make or break interest into a film.  As epic fantasy and science fiction goes, I think we benefit from a bevvy of applications, where muscial scores tied to key pieces of cinematic sequence can really drive you into a story.

Working to get my epic/dark fantasy ms out, as well as working on the subsequent works, I found music to be a real source of inspiration.  This gold mine of shorts will definitely be a constant for future projects.  I invite you to listen to the video below and imagine the trailer for your own novel (fantasy, sci-fi or otherwise); I challenge you to not get excited about your work.

 


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Music can be a powerful tool for a writer. I played a specific piece when writing a couple of intense scenes in my medieval novel. One scene was of a man being burned at the stake and the other when the death carts rolled down the streets picking up dead plague victims. It perfectly captured the mood I was going for. Whether that translated onto the page for the reader I don't know but it sure helped me write the scenes..

    ReplyDelete